View Single Post
Old 19th May 2020, 8:56 pm   #3
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Default Re: Converting a 1950s Ericsson phone for "normal" working

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Hello everyone,

I recently got hold of a ~1950 Ericsson N1071A16 wall phone, which is also marked as type H1385, a New Zealand post office designation.

The numbers on the dial are backwards compared with what we're used to, but otherwise it's very similar to the UK variants, which have an almost standard 300-series chassis albeit modified to work in a wall-mounted case, see here: https://www.britishtelephones.com/ericsson/n1071.htm

The dial was a mess (seized clutch and broken return spring) but I've restored everything now and would like to use it at home.

However, there's a catch... this seems to be an instrument re-designed for the NZ telephone system. It has an extra changeover contact on the gravity switch and a separate earth connection. There's also an odd, asymmetrical leaf spring on the bell motor.

I've attached a photo of the paster in mine. You can see it's very similar indeed to the standard GPO 332: https://www.britishtelephones.com/gp...t322paster.jpg

So, to the big question... What do I need to do? Certainly, linking T2-T3 would be a start, connecting the line to the points marked A and B.

Two-wire working would be fine. And obviously, I realise that I'd need to do a bit of mental conversion when dialling!

Thanks, experts,

Nick.

EDIT: Mods, please delete the "party line" bit from the title
Used with 'multi-party' party lines which used code-ringing on Strowger exchanges in NZ.

Quite easy to mod to have an identical circuit to a GPO Tele 332 -
a) Remove the green wire that runs between T1 and Switchhook spring No 3
b) Move the brown wire from T3 to T1
c) Remove the Slate(grey) wire between Dial terminal Strip 2 and Switchhook No 4
d) Remove the Orange wire between T12 and Switchhook 7
e) Strap Dial Terminal strip 2 and 3
f) Strap T11 and 12.

Then your telephone is identical circuit to a Tele 332 except that Switchhook make contacts are No 5 and 6 rather than No 3 & 4 on the Tele 332. Line A wire goes to T1 and B wire to T9 as per Tele 332

Then just go ahead with converting a Tele 332 to three wire as per Bob F's instructions -
Then the telephone is ready to go.

Note the NZ dials are identical to the UK ones except for the fingerplate.