View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2020, 10:00 am   #19
lesmw0sec
Octode

Default Re: Half wave mains rectification and live chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
The Aussie electronics industry was surprisingly idiosyncratic and it's true that live chassis radios and TVs were very rare there, though I don't know if they were actually prohibited. There were technical reasons for this, but Australia was very protectionist throughout most of the 20th century despite the 'commonwealth preference' talk, and used what would now be called health and safety rules to discourage European and American imports. (Most countries were protectionist to a degree at that time of course, including Britain.)
Those trade 'barriers' could be quite helpful. The Co. I was working with made studio mixers and at the time the only comparable item was from Rupert Neve imported from the UK. Since we were making a comparable item, we managed to get a 20% import duty on the Neve stuff!
The only thing that got my goat in Australia was the fact that (in theory) I was not allowed to do house wiring although I was considered competent to design and install a 3Ph power supply for a TV transmitter. I got over the wiring regs when we moved to the bush and having my own generator, was deemed to be the electricity 'authority'!