View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2008, 11:47 am   #1
helmsman
Tetrode

Default AVO Mk 2 (Return to srevice).

Hi Guys
I think it best to start this story at the begining. About eight years ago my father who was a radio, and electronic engineer past away. In all that time his work shop was not used and at times got a little damp. Well just recently I to have become interested in restoring old radios and have aquired all of dads test gear, ie megger, capacitance meter, transistor tester, and his Mk2 AVO valve tester. Before switcing it on i took the case off to check that all was ok. It all looked fine except that one of the coils had a small amount of mould growing on it so i cleaned it off using a soft brush. Switching it on all is ok, no pops or bangs. The problem it has is in the setting up. I have followed the instrution book to the letter, but the needle will not zero to the red line. I have tried altering the mains tappings at the rear (as the book says) all to no avail. It does test valves fine but with low readings (or should I say will not give a full swing to the right). I am a relative beginer but i have tried the set up procedure about twenty times just in case i had made a mistake. I hope that one of you out there can offer any help.
Terry