View Single Post
Old 10th May 2021, 10:56 am   #1
jamesinnewcastl
Heptode

Default Painting a Straight Line

Hi All

I have a piece of kit that is a casting and so the surface is relatively uneven. I need to paint a red line around it and so my first thought was masking tape. The problem with that are firstly, that the uneven surface can't be tracked completely by the masking tape and you get 'wobbles' in the line edge, secondly there were obstructions to the path of the tape which would have made the laying of the tape very difficult and lastly getting the end of the line to meet up with the start and be of the same thickness would also have been difficult.

This particular line was painted by hand on the original kit I believe but I had no time or inclination to become trained in that skill!

So my answer was to keep the paintbrush fixed in height by screwing it onto a large chunk of wood and sliding it along past the item to be painted with just the tip of the brush in contact.

I'll leave it to you to decide if that worked well - see the pic! I could easily apply a second coat without straying from the first edges. I dipped the brush in paint but did not overload it.

Cheers
James
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6019.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	233697