View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2014, 4:06 pm   #5
camtechman
Nonode

Default Re: Re-stuffing HT batteries with PP3s

From my days at Ever Ready and, if memory serves me correctly, metal jacket batteries, including the PP3, were introduced to improve the safety of alkaline batteries and to reduce the risk of exploding batteries, usually caused by short circuit or over heating.

In same cases, especially AA, C & D size alkaline batts could explode if dropped on the +ve connection end.

I saw this demonstrated at Ever Ready labs when a non metal jacket, alkaline AA battery was inserted into the chamber of a specially designed 'gun' and when the 'firing' mech was activated, there was a loud bang and the contents of the battery travelled 2 metres and burried its self into a test block of Ballistic Gel !

However I think, just for standardisation, metal jackets were then applied to ZnCl batteries too.

As a collector of pocket transistor radios from the 1960's these metal jacket alkaline batts are larger than the cardboard PP3 zinc chloride batteries, that these 60's radios were designed to take and the metal jacket ones can cause the plastic case of the radio to crack or split.

The only modern PP3 that still fits into these radios is the Panasonic, metal jacket Zinc Chloride ones