View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2014, 12:11 am   #37
terrybull
Octode

Default Re: Improvising with Household Items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeritus View Post
Further to #32, on Christmas Eve 2012 the fan of our electric oven wouldn't turn but just sat there buzzing. Prodding the impeller through the grill could get it started, but the fan blade fouled the housing. The end bearing turned out to be very worn. No chance of getting a replacement motor at lunchtime on Christmas eve, and the family were expecting their turkey the next day! Adding a couple of washers stopped the fouling, but it would only run slowly and noisily because the shaft was precessing in the bearing sleeve, even when oiled.
I smiled when I read this. About 3 years ago on Christmas Eve, the fan in our oven packed up. I had previously bodged it and knew it was the end. I rang the shop where I get 'white goods' parts from and just caught them as they were leaving and going to the pub for the afternoon. It is some 18 miles from me so they took a motor with them and we did the deal over a pint. The fan was repaired and the Turkey ready for the main event. I thought I was extremely unlucky to have this happen on Christmas Eve so it cheered me up to know I am not alone.