View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2014, 6:45 am   #22
Billy T
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Improvising with Household Items.

Sixty+ years ago my father had in his garage workshop a "bigger bits n' pieces" box plus small drawers of miscellaneous nuts, bolts, screws and other "it'll come in handy one day" stuff, and as a child I regularly made use of the contents of these boxes and drawers for my various projects.

I still have them today, and over the years I have added all sorts of items, whole or partially dismantled etc and scarcely a week goes by that I don't go rummaging for 'just the right bit' to complete a repair or some other project.

I have a pretty good collection of (small to medium) screws of all sizes and thread types, I started it nearly 50 years ago when Whitworth seemed to be the principal thread type, then Japanese products came along in quantity with all sorts of tiny fasteners with very fine threads, so I collected those as well.

I don't know how any keen handyman can get by without at least a modest collection of such bits n' pieces. They are easy to collect and take up very little room. I'd be utterly lost without that resource, and my family appreciates the range of repairs that can be made using those resources of plastic and metal items and the wide range of fasteners.

Cheers

Billy