View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2005, 1:28 am   #17
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.
Default Re: Vintage radio safety

Just read some of the interesting comments and decided to add some of my own. The older valved radios we are all familiar with were probably considered safe by their days standards but would fail miserably against todays safety regs. I know for a fact that some of the 1970's tv's, especially those that used AC/DC chassis, would be condemned on sight today. But despite todays tight rules and regs I am amazed at the poor build quality of much of todays modern gadgets, often with little or no circuit protection . It makes you wonder if any of todays tight rules and regulations are actually enforced!
As regards to leaving things powered up, I switch everything off that I can either by the appliances on off switch or by switching off at the wall socket. This includes both pc's, the colour tv, the WiFi box, the DVD and of course all the older radios and TV's. The only things I leave running are those that are designed to be left on such as VCR's, the cooker,microwave and the radio alarms.
I also do regular checks on the batteries in the fire alarms, I trust everyone else does this as well?

Last edited by Hybrid tellies; 11th Aug 2005 at 1:32 am.