View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2005, 8:52 pm   #10
Station X

Default Re: Vintage radio safety

Quote:
If theres no switch,the device or whatever, is still energised,also it will still draw current,and could be a fire hazard,perhaps a fault will occur when unattended.
If there's no switch, then surely the user will unplug the appliance or turn it off at a switched wall socket? I've just been thinking about what appliances I have without a mains switch. All I can thing of is a 60W inspection lamp and a portable 500W floodlight. The latter is definitely a fire hazard and consumes a lot of juice. That's why I unplug it when I leave it unattended. Lack of a switch on the floodlight doesn't deter me from unplugging it.

Quote:
I have seen countless "switches"made of plastic,these just burn up or melt down
I've also seen countless plastic switches, but I've not known one to catch fire or melt. I accept that this could happen if the switch was overloaded or incorrectly fused. Are you advocating a return to switches with porcelain innards which have a habit of breaking when you tighten the screws?

Quote:
,also kettle connectors burn up or melt,surely you have come accross this sort of thing
No I haven't come across it. The kettles we had at work suffered constant use and abuse, but I never knew a connector to melt or burn up.

Quote:
! 3a rating cables often used for 5-7a loads,this is todays practice.
That may be the practice, but it's not the rule, standard or regulation. I am advocating us obeying the rules, not breaking them.

Graham.