View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2007, 9:16 pm   #74
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: Vintage radio safety

Re: Capacitive Droppers.

They were used in one TV that all the TV repair people here know of. The BRC 1580 Chassis. Sets such as the Ultra 6805. This was a 12 inch portable from the Early 70s, and the valves had their heaters supplied by a large capacitor, I think it was 4.33uF.

These took ages to come on sometimes, and were susceptible to Mains variations. In the end, BRC issued mods to eliminate this. Still a lot about though - I've got 2! Both unmodified. One works, one smokes and I haven't yet had the courage to find out why.

They are used in Radios to reduce the heat of a dropper, and the details are here:

http://www.vintage-radio.com/repair-...per-calcs.html

Like many things, it depends where you use it and how safetly. I generally don't, but I know that some people do. I hope those that do remember to be CIVIL about it.

As far as safety in general goes, it depends on whether the set is for me or for someboby else. But I always put a sheet with the set if it is for somebody else, explaining some basic facts, like Unplug when you're not in or in bed and for God's sake don't use it when you're not around. I have had one comeback, but that was when a set got knocked off a table and then tried to get me to fix it for nowt! I shant type what I said...

For Safety, read Common Sense and you can't really go wrong.

'Elf 'n' Sefety' types can.....

Cheers,

Steve P