View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2007, 6:18 pm   #65
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: Vintage radio safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Phelan View Post
I am not saying that the end product should not be safe; but please respect originality and the fact that it was probably designed by a respected and well-paid team; we should think twice about adopting a "we know better" stance.
Indeed. Sometimes, however, that 'well-paid team' were working within the constraints of what they knew about to the best of their knowledge. Who'd have thought that polychlorinated biphenyls (PCB) would pose the danger that they do? When I was an apprentice electrician, this 'Pyrochlor' (a form of PCB) was considered the be-all-and-end-all of transformer insulating coolants!

Ten years later and I find myself donning disposable overalls and full face-mask and helping eradicate the stuff (now considered nasty beyond comprehension) from BBC transmitting stations...

I have a Bush DAC90 waiting in the wings. I'm not worried about the ceramic dropper (the back of the set looks surprisingly unburned as well) or the fact that it has a live chassis, but I shall certainly try to find a substitute for the flaky asbestos surround!

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.