View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2007, 10:44 am   #55
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Vintage radio safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris55000 View Post
Dropping resistors:- If the cement coating has started to flake off a heater dropper in the AC/DC type set exposing the elements, again the set should be considered no longer safe to test or attempt to use.

"Capacitor droppers" - *DON'T!!!* I don't believe there's any type of paper/polyester capacitor on the market that will withstand a 150mA-250mA sustained current flow to run heaters in an old radio.

HT battery replacement for All-Dry sets - the Kit Radio Company's product is really the only feasable and safe way to do it if you want to make the set truly "portable". Whilst you can try stringing 10 PP3s in series, those from car-boot sales may not last very long, even with only 10mA drain. *Don't* try and make one with Alkaline or NiCd or NiMH cells - the short circuit current from even the PP3 size is tremendous and accidental shorts from untidy workmanship could easily cause a dangerous explosion that could put your eyes at risk! It is safe to use one single "D" size alkaline cell in a proper holder for filament/LT supplies.
Well we all have our oppinions and if you don't want to use most of the vintage radio's you have well that's fine.

I'll just add my own views based on 40 years experience. Firstly flaking droppers. My Pilot Little Maestro has virtually no ceramic left on the dropper. It's been like that for as long as I remember and I've had the set since 1968. It is still working fine.

Capacitor droppers. No problem with them. Thorn used one in one of their TV's back in the 70's. I've not used one yet to replace a dropper simply because I haven't needed to. No hesitation to do so if necessary provided the circuitry of the radio would allow it. As an aside, my central heating contoller uses a capacitor dropper into a regulator and it has run for nearly 15 years.

HT battery replacements using alkaline batteries. No problem...used them for years. My Roberts R55 has had a 'replacement' battery made up with alkalines for over 15 years. Never a problem. I would never use one of those inverter type things due to the amount of rubbish radiated into the set.

It's like everything else. None of these old radio's can meet modern safety requirements. Used with care however there is no danger.

Rich.

It's like everything else