View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2007, 7:40 am   #50
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Default Re: Vintage radio safety

Crikey!

Speaking as someone who collects and restores all kinds of midget live chassis radios (i think I only own one radio with a mains transformer!), I would take you to task regarding your comments made.

There is nothing unsafe regarding the use of line cord as a dropper, providing common sense is used, checking for faulty insulation, and stiffness, usually if the cable has been bundled up tight then the cable will have suffered.

Most Midget radios using American type valves are quite happy running on 110v - indeed I know of many collectors, and professionals that do this as a matter of course, during restoration.

Capacitive droppers, I dont use them personally, but there are large numbers of people that do use them - failure usually takes out a heater chain. I cant really see a safety issue with this.

Barreters? - I can only assume that you have not seen one, otherwise you would not have made the sweeping statement about a lack of room to substitute one for something else - they are normally about the size of an octal rectifier - a simple matter to make a plug in dropper resistor to go in its place, and it will produce a similar amount of heat....

Series chains of batteries, Yes, the KRC unit is a good idea, and a more powerful generator of RF hash you couldnt wish for, but it is a way of running battery sets.

I would doubt anyone would be buying 10 NiMH cells to chain together - the cost would put most people off anyway, collectors have been doing this for years, and there are individuals that are doing this on a commercial basis, I have not heard of anyone setting fire to , or blowing up a battery set due to dodgy batteries.....

Perhaps this redresses the balance here a little - Common Sense - its been protecting mankind since the dawn of time!

Cheers
Sean