Thread: 6SK7 and 6SK7W
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2021, 6:31 pm   #10
usradcoll1
Heptode

Default Re: 6SK7 and 6SK7W

Quote:
Originally Posted by turretslug View Post
The BC453B here has a yellow-base 12K8 in it, which struck me as curious with a valve that isn't expected to perform beyond 635kHz! (The metal "bottles" are all RCA-brand with similar font, so possibly original). Maybe it was specified for the HF versions and it was simply easier to load all receiver versions with one stock type.

There was a suggested "upgrade" for the AR88 series that involved replacing the 6SA7 mixer with a 6SB7Y, but I suspect that this was another one of the slightly straw-clutching attempts to make old-timer thermionic sets seem more attractive and "with it" as transistors inexorably muscled in as the '60s progressed.
Regarding using a 6SB7Y in a Hallicrafters receiver, I mentioned it at a ham radio swap meet to make the set more stable and more sensitive on the highest band.
Hallicrafters made a SWL receiver, model S108, built in 1963 that used an identical chassis to a S40B, which was built in 1951. Same valve compliment, all metal valves! The cabinet and the appearance was modernized for the times.
Dave, USradcoll1