View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2020, 4:55 pm   #7
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: A reminder, a warning..

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
David, try to stick to mechanical means of removal, ie a stiff brush at first, then a fibre stick and if necessary a bit of very smooth wet/dry paper, trying not to remove the shiny plating. Neutralising liquids only spread the stuff. I've got a collection of toothbrushes and that kind of thing that I use, plus a powerful battery powered blower. Then like I said above, use a contact cleaner to 'prime' the contacts once they're clean and gleaming. Apologies if you're an expert on this kind of stuff! But I've done quite a few in my time. Oh, and I never believe what people on auction sites say. I guess he meant he'd got rid of the excess..
Hi Steve, Thank you for all the inputs, I am no expert, hard toothbrush no good for the really bad ones, apart from removing the loose stuff, had to resort to abrasives including wet and dry. I do not have a fibre stick, I must get one.

Difficult when they are really bad not to remove some plating, was wondering if a metal (one of the brass type softer bristles) suede cleaning brush might be useful for this.

Yes know not to believe much of what some online sellers say, it was a lady by the way and I am sure she did what she could to clean it up.

David
DMcMahon is offline   Reply With Quote