Dekatron

Default Re: The Audiophoolery Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Sawyers View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
Given the "huge" cost of the fuses, one could offer an inheritable lifetime replacement guarantee or even a "sale or return" replacement if they don't like the sound of a particular (serial numbered) fuse.

Poor lambs, they need all the help they can get.
Whatever the various opinions are about Russ Andrews (and there are strong ones both pro and against), he offers a sale or return on everything he sells. Including the fuses. 60 day no quibble.

Try that with any other company: "I've decided I don't like it. There is nothing wrong with it, I'd just like to return it after 2 months for a full refund"

I'm not inviting another Russ bashing by the way. Just saying it the way it is.

Craig
All very well, but the intrinsic psyche of the audiophile/phool is very often of the blind belief kind. Hence, a buyer of such expensive, exclusive, hifi fuses is more than likely able to 'hear' a difference and be perfectly satisfied with his purchase, chuffed in fact, and have no desire to return them. That's part of the whole audiophool thing; they hear what they want to hear and are happy to pay a lot of money for that plastic satisfaction. Audiophools have and are being conned into spending lots more money on much more nebulous things than fuses. Here's some wooden cable elevators (sold by Russ Andrews as it happens - and I didn't search for his name, just a product type): https://www.russandrews.com/cable-el...BoCvawQAvD_BwE

I mean, come on, this is pure April 1st joke territory, anyone who believes that this improves the sound of a hifi system has to be .
Whether these work or not, a buyer believes they work or not, or you believe they work or not - at £8.50 each for a machined beech item is not financially a rip off.

I have my own (amateur) woodworking shop in the garage. Pretty well equipped with machine and hand tools. And I could not make and sell those, and make a small profit, for a selling price £8.50 a piece.

I guess you have to ask yourself a question - would you prefer that 12 hard working staff in a small facility in the Lake District keep their jobs in a tough market, or would you prefer to put them out of a job?

I can tell you first hand how precisely how tough it is in the audio world - in the early 90's I was CTO of Wharfedale. Just as the consumer recession hit. As suppliers of parts progressively put our account on hold, I pushed through the new development programme by using petty cash, driving to Farnell and buying bits across the counter for folding money. And I still lost my job. As did dozens of others including the CEO.

The consequence is that Wharfedale, and Quad, and Audiolab, and NAD and umpteen more decent companies are now owned by the Chinese. Apart from SME that is owned by an Indian chap, who has decided to no longer sell pickup arms to the public or OEM users as of December 3rd.

Anyway - from where I sit, regardless of your personal opinion about Russ Andrews products, I for one would prefer their staff to keep their jobs.

Craig
Craig Sawyers is online now   Reply With Quote