View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2021, 12:58 pm   #73
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Default Re: Radio Caroline Power Increase

The Wrexham Tx did seem to give good coverage. Back in the day (about 20 years ago) I used to listen to Radio Wales a lot and 657’s 2kW wasn’t that far down compared to 882’s 100kW. It was easily listenable on the kitchen portable. Wrexham is about 60 miles and Washford about 120 miles distant with the latter having Severn Estuary sea path.

I think Caroline’s aim is just to put out a ‘respectable’ signal on 648. It is a bit the broadcasting equivalent of a heritage steam railway and other than us enthusiasts few will be listening seriously on AM. It might be get into London a bit better but the local QRM in such a crowded city will make it impractical for many, plus there is SSDAB there which doesn’t seem so small-scale from the coverage map.

It is a shame the ‘Birmingham’ SSDAB coverage is so miniscule – it barely reaches the city centre – otherwise I would listen on DAB. My MW sets are tuned to 648 but I listen online a fair amount – especially at night when 648 is poor due to co-channel QRM.

I do listen to the Caroline North transmissions on AM but this is for the sense of nostalgia more than anything. 1368 booms in during darkness. In the times before they turned 648 over to North for the duration of the weekend there was even the novelty of hearing of hearing two Carolines from two different transmitter locations on the band once more – something that hadn’t occurred since March 1968.