View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2019, 5:03 pm   #6
slidertogrid
Octode

Default Re: Pye television 1956 screen problem

The first thing to do is to check the mains plug is wired the right way around that is mains neutral to chassis. Always unplug when working on the set don't rely on the set's on - off switch.
You will need to access the capacitors under the chassis to replace them.
I usually replace a couple at a time checking as I go and testing after each replacement or two so if you do make a mistake it's easy to recheck what has been done. The choice to just replace the capacitors with modern ones or fit the modern ones inside the original cases is up to you. It depends if you want the chassis to look original or just work.
I would replace or disconnect the mains filter capacitor connected across the mains supply (If still fitted) before going much further as it may go short and blow itself apart if its an old waxie..
The two large front control knobs will have to come off to remove the chassis. I'm not sure if they pull off or need screws releasing first. Then it's a case of removing the chassis to the extent of the wiring connecting to the tube and supporting it to work on the underside. it may be that you will have to remove the tube base depending on the length of the wires.
Hopefully the set is a wired metal chassis and not the early PYE PCB chassis..?

Last edited by slidertogrid; 26th Dec 2019 at 5:24 pm.