View Single Post
Old 27th May 2020, 4:27 pm   #33
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Code-Breakers:Bletchley Park's Lost Heroes

Very interesting "x"tra info from all concerned here, especially the Export Only Ads in WW [Bill]. I never really questioned why items were sold in that way Also Rob's "breakdown" of the redundant equipment situation. This is the most informative discussion of a long term "enigma" I've ever read. Regardless of the numbers re the AR77 receiver it took me a long time to find out about them and I don't think there were ever many on the British surplus market. A good set but for home use originally. There's more too on the disadvantage of the Nazi strict social structure with it's intolerant/devisive approach and an un-launched Aircraft Carrier. [Our more recent one had no Aircraft but that was probably just incompetence, like Hastings Pier with nothing on it.]
As for Dorothy the Typex expert, I can't imagine a similar individual surviving [so openly] on the Nazi side. Eddie Izzard is from Bexill of course Craig and very much lives up to his surname after running 50 Marathons. I've not met Eddie and missed him donating his family Model Railway to the local Museum here but I did have a chat with Grayson Perry [Claire] at the De La Warr Pavillion once-wearing a bright yellow dress and more make-up than Dusty Springfield! Maybe a sense of humour and the right attitude can win wars after all?
I saw "Those Who Dare" [1953] on TPTV earlier.

Dave

[That was Grayson in the dress by the way!]

Last edited by dave walsh; 27th May 2020 at 4:57 pm.