View Single Post
Old 27th May 2020, 3:12 pm   #31
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Default Re: Code-Breakers:Bletchley Park's Lost Heroes

Not sure if this thread or the lend lease is suitable. Moderators please move if needed.

Reference the comments by Bill and Dave Walsh

Not lend lease exactly, but my experience might give a little insight.
In the early 90s a scrap electronic reclamation dealer I knew bought quite a lot of such items from a USA base in Germany and had it shipped back here for recycling. Several hundred tons.
Some very nice (when new, that is) gear. Including Harris 6 foot racks ssb fixed channel transceivers, Collins hf transceivers and a few Yaesu handhelds.
Most had been deliberately mangled by a bulldozer!
However, a few parts survived in an electronic fashion although not as pretty as when new!
The dealer told me the reason for the destruction was all to do with customs duty.
The US base was classed as being still part of the USA for customs duty and no import duty into Germany was levied. There were 3 options.
With the equipment now redundant, it could be transported back to USA as is. That was not viable as it was not wanted there either.
It could have the original duty be paid in full and then sold from Germany. That was too costly.
Or, it could be destroyed to the satisfaction of the German government inspector.
The last option was chosen.
Rob

Last edited by CambridgeWorks; 27th May 2020 at 3:18 pm. Reason: Clarity