View Single Post
Old 4th May 2020, 11:00 am   #10
beamcurrent
Heptode

Default Re: What to do with my collection

I'm sure that this problem is close to all (most) of our hearts. For many years I have had an interest in television cameras outside broadcast and broadcasting in general.

It is the other end of the TV/Radio collection & restoration world. I often thought I would love a museum to display and teach the world about the history of broadcasting. I knew all the problems outlined by others and had watched the sterling efforts of a good friend to set up such a museum in Chester.

My first solution was to have a virtual museum www.tvcameramuseum.org This has been running for some 20 years and is now quite extensive. In parallel with this I have worried on and off about the collection. It too is extensive, for instance I had a full size OB van sat in the drive outside the house.

A chance encounter with another OB enthusiast led to the move to set up a more formal survival strategy.

Nick and I decided the way was to set up a charitable trust which we have done, We have 5 trustees and a group of enthusiastic volunteers. The OB vans, www.MCR21.org.uk , ownership is now with the trust and restoration is underway.

When it is ready it will go on public display at the Amberley Chalk Pits Museum , where we had our official Launch last year. It is planned that our trust, The BTTT, Broadcast Television Technology Trust, will continue on into the future preserving the BBC OB van MCR21.

Looking a little further ahead it would be good to encompass a wider range of Broadcasting kit, cameras etc, library, even the whole range, cameras & microphones to the domestic TV and radios into some form of consolidated celebration of broadcasting exhibit.

This wish would not be easy to achieve, but I look at other countries around the world with a certain degree of envy. Have a look at Portugal this is the web presence of the state broadcasters museum. https://museu.rtp.pt/en/tv-radio-collection

The key to all this is funding..............Ho Hum

Finally One of our volunteers has created a youtube channel.... which might amuse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_SC_3631_1.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	204830   Click image for larger version

Name:	_SC_3649_1.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	204831   Click image for larger version

Name:	_SC_3652_1.jpg
Views:	176