View Single Post
Old 4th May 2020, 12:01 am   #6
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Default Re: What to do with my collection

Launching a museum as a stand-alone organisation can be costly but is not necessrily too complicated in itself. A much greater challenge is to launch a museum that will survive, prosper and serve its purpose when you are not around to defend it or prop it up. It must fulfil some role that other people value as much as you do, that is likely to remain of value for long enough into the future to justify everyone's effort. Ask yourself why visitor x, who hasn't been born yet and will never know a world without driverless cars and 5G phones, would want to take the family there in anticipation of something interesting and enlightening.

I have been working on that bit for a decade, in an effort to ensure that the charitable organisation that we are just in the process of launching stands a chance of developing in perpetuity rather than just barely holding its own and fizzling out when we do. Making valve radios relevant to the unborn generation is a challenge, but I think it's possible if we open our minds to a wider variety of interpretations than we ourselves need in order to derive pleasure from them.