View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2018, 10:08 pm   #73
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Vintage Radios, TVs etc in films and on TV (not anachronisms)

Having looked at tonight's Repair Shop. I checked out the GEC "Gramophone" from last Friday! It was a bit of a mash up but these sort of programs always seem a out of their depth in the electrical sphere I think. It's not just a tendency towards us being pedantic in the enthusiast world [although that can happen]. It's up to the producers to give it a bit of credibility and quality control but if they don't know enough, care enough or are more comfortable with "understandable" crafts, it's what you get!

There are some very interesting restorations shown but the whole thing appears very staged and a bit stilted to me. Often the recipients seem quite flat as well at the end, although the owner of the shoe stretcher today and the lady with the GEC seemed to be an exception to this. She described her Radiogram as a Record Player with a radio [when it wasn't being a Dalek] so apparently never knew what it was herself. The electrical "short" looked like a set up, especially as nothing was found to account for it. Apart from the jerky style on the RG, so much was left out-even in summary, it was like the "London to Brighton in 4mins" film of yesteryear! I had wondered if the Gramophone expert was a Forum member but it seems unlikely I suppose

The more understandable crafts are on BBC4 right now-enjoy!

Dave