View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2018, 12:04 pm   #67
David Simpson
Nonode

Default Re: Vintage Radios, TVs etc in films and on TV (not anachronisms)

Well, it seems the guy is a retired antique shop owner & hobbyist gramophone restorer. However, it still bugs me that basic safety & radio/electronics test procedures were ignored.
Quite a few years ago, wearing my Scottish Hydro-Electric Inspector hat, I played a very minor roll in an episode of "Songs of Praise" located at a large church up this way. The BBC needed a temporary independent 3 Phase supply for their large Winnibago style mobile control room & the vast amount of lighting, cameras amplifiers, etc. inside the church. Muggins here got the job.(Obviously, the 23rd psalm would've been dwarfed by a huge noisy mobile generator).
I was very impressed by the skill & professional standard of the Engineers, Technicians & Electricians in the BBC's team. Round about the same time I visited the "Antiques Road Show" which was being held at the Aberdeen Conference Centre. Once again, from what I could see, their electrical distribution layout was 1st class.
Why of why didn't some BBC Electrical Engineer pick up on the matters raised in this thread, prior to transmission ? Perhaps after 25 years or so, standards have changed.

Regards, David