View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2020, 10:16 am   #13
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Help required: Cracked case repair

Some pics of the repair I made to another FB10 cabinet with a chunk missing at the rear cable entry aperture. Over the years, I've restored six in all, some with quite large chunks missing. Sprayed in a range of colours - red, green, blue, pink (1), cream...As I said in my earlier post, most were no more than a fiver - many visitors to BVWS Swap-meets or at car boot sales who see a damaged Bakelite receiver seem to consider them write-offs, fit only for scrap as donors of parts, so they have little appeal. (I've done likewise with other small damaged Bakelite radios, EG: Murphy U198, Philips Philetta).

I've used wire armatures to support filler to bridge the gaps and have created card templates from the undamaged areas of the cabinet to use to get the correct profile of the repair when sanding to shape with 220g wet and dry paper. For example, if the bottom front RH corner has a chunk missing, I've made a couple of stiff card templates using a 'Profile Gauge' on the undamaged front LH bottom corner, which will be a mirror image of the RH side:

https://www.toolstation.com/vitrex-p...BoC_mgQAvD_BwE

This particular example only had a piece missing at the rear so was an easy repair. As the damaged was minor and at the rear, once cleaned up and the electronics restored, maybe some would have just left it as it was, but it was always my intention to respray it anyway.

Pic 1: I created an armature using paper clip wire. The sides of the gap were drilled 1mm to insert the wire, held in place with blobs of superglue.

Pic 2: Isopon P38 two-part Car body-filler applied and shaped to the correct profile:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Easy-Sandin...86771113&psc=1

Pic 3: Repair primed.

Pic 4: Whole cabinet primed.

Pic 5: Cabinet sprayed gloss racing red.

Hope that's of interest and help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wire armature fixed to cabinet.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	219609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cabinet repaired.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	219610   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cabinet primed after repair.jpg