View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2020, 12:35 pm   #37
Michael Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junk Box Nick View Post

The cunning manager knows how to stay just short of constructive dismissal whilst employing tactics to make life difficult enough for those they want removed. The industry I work in consists of mainly small firms where union representation barely exists and those that are members of a trade union will only use it as a last resort - to assist in a claim for unfair dismissal for example - as once it is known you are a member of a trade union your card is marked.

It's astonishing how many more experienced and conscientious people I have seen removed by these tactics. (There are, of course, other more straightforward means of dealing with those who are not very competent.)

The situation where you are told to observe two sets of rules which contradict each other is a stock management tactic. The other one is not being informed of procedures so that you can then be pulled up for not doing the job (in someone else's opinion) the correct way. This tactic is as old as time and usually employed as a means of putting people in their place. In my experience, working in places where you have to spend a lot of time 'playing the game' removes energy from doing the job at hand and is never a satisfactory experience.

I went through such an experience 25 years ago when a large certain service
centre put me through absolute hell.

They had a system where engineers were financially penalised for ordering spares.

They demanded you complete 30 repairs per week, no matter how difficult or easy they were. They refused to pay me for overtime that I'd done because i hadnt completed 30 repairs.

If you asked for anything such as leave to take my wife to Paris for her 30th birthday, they almost made you beg.

If you were a field engineer and you couldn't complete all the calls you had to make, then tough, you did them in your own time.

In the summer, it was so hot, the sweat was pouring off our faces, there were no windows, no air conditioning (except for the computer room) and when we opened the one door to let some air in, security forced us to keep it closed.

Many people left, no one was happy.

i was sacked after inadvertently speaking out on a Toshiba training session. it wasn't Toshiba complaining it was another rather nasty colleague who did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junk Box Nick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by high_vacuum_house View Post
I got very good at the job which annoyed my supervisor because he didn't have a clue at what I was doing.
This is depressingly familiar.

These situations never improve - the only answer is to move on.
One of the managers didn't know what a circuit diagram was!

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/