View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2020, 12:45 pm   #34
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Default Re: Was there any disciplinary procedures in British R & TV factories?

Like many have said, the reaction is way over the top for this type of incident. The risk it posed to yourself or anyone else was minimal and the cost of repair would have been in the £10 or less category. It sounds like someone higher up there is trying to make a name for themselves.

Is there someone at your workplace you could talk to, informally for a start about the situation, Maybe your H+S or HR representative or maybe someone higher up the chain. With no risk assessements operating procedures Audit trails ECT. they are on risky ground legally. How long have you worked there and have you witnessed any other unfair behaviour.

I presume that the workplace deals in industrial control electronics with repairs down to component level ? Would it be possible to have a bit of an insight in to the company and its services?

My second job was working for a security equipment company and I did repairs to component level to very sophisticated cash handling units. I got very good at the job which annoyed my supervisor because he didn't have a clue at what I was doing. I worked in this position for approx. 8 years by which time the equipment was severely life expired and they would not listen to me when I was telling them that the equipment needed new PCBs due to fatigue cycling and were no longer really repairable. I gradually got more fed up and after a particularly nasty threat from my supervisor over some equipment which was returned faulty, I walked out of my repair bay straight to the HR office who knew me as quiet and always keeping my nose clean, and I let them have it rather straight to the point. I was in a particularly severe stressed condition as I knew exactly what I was intending to do which was to never work underneath this supervisor again
They gave me a weeks paid leave and paid my remaining holiday leave and I left never to return.

This was probably the best move I had ever made as I had told a friend who was a volunteer what I had done. His company were looking for a skilled electro/mechanical engineer to work on resurrecting some old BR shunting locomotives and I was able to start work straight away on considerably better pay, better working conditions and doing something I enjoyed.

Christopher Capener

Last edited by high_vacuum_house; 2nd May 2020 at 12:50 pm.