Thread: Pye VT4.
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2022, 9:07 am   #33
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Pye VT4.

My thoughts are still with the scan coils.
The noise may have been the start of a short. If you have definitely got the connections correct I can't think what else would cause a distorted scan such as can be seen in your picture.

This picture shows encircled the breakdown point of a V4 line coil insulated from the frame coils be cellophane that has become crisp, darkened and eventually broken down.

Sorry to be such a bearer of bad news but later Pye scan coils can be modified to work but it needs a lot of patience to sort out connections, resistance and series parallel arrangements.

If you do find a similar pair make sure they are insulated with flexible Polythene sheet.
Failing this they will be a waste of time. When I was a young lad in the trade I used to talk to older engineers that had worked on all these old models. They used to say that if a V4 required a replacement tube they would warn the customer that the scan coils would likely fail soon after. They cost 35/- [£1.75] in 1964 and had to be costed in to the job. I hope you find something such as a broken wire, only hope. John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SC.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	256634