View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2023, 1:59 pm   #75
knobtwiddler
Octode

Default Re: On This Day In 1983 Philips Launched The CD.

Ha! My first CD player was the Marantz CD65MK2. I worked my summer holidays in STC Greenwich (in the Clean Room) in order to pay for it. Once I'd picked it up from the local hifi emporium, I ventured over the road to the large record store, looking forward to buying some CDs... My mood changed when I was instructed to go to the back of the shop, where a measly selection of CDs sat, in the rear right corner. There can't have been more than 20 of them... I chose 2 that were near to my taste. To this day, I can't say I've ever bought more than 10 CDs in my life. My interests have always been for US import 12"s and it's only been in recent times that commercial CDs have catered to me (aside from home made CDs - of which I have many). My partner has hundreds of commercial CDs.

The current Marantz CD6004 is a step back from the 1988 CD65MK2 in many ways: it has a noisy transformer that hums, and it takes an eternity to load and locate tracks. Its only advantage is the USB socket. I lost the remote for the CD65, but luckily my partner's Philips remote works fine with it! I wonder just what the difference is between the Marantz and Philips players...?

I'd like to get the CD65 back in action. I suspect the drive belt's gone. I've never serviced a CD player before. Am wondering if it'll need the lens cleaning as well. Is it worth giving to a pro? I have a well equipped workshop, but amps and mixers are my thing, not CD players.