View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2023, 12:48 am   #72
nickdoofah
Banned

Default Re: On This Day In 1983 Philips Launched The CD.

My 1'st player was a Technics SPLG500A Philips CDM4 mech bought in 1991 to add to my existing silver fronted Technics separates system from the 80's! A remarkable & competent player with amazing instant track access & tons of program/edit features for recording to cassette tape! Most discs were cheaper discount discs as new ones were too expensive! the 500A was unforgiving with poor quality flat sounding discs........
I was still buying records well into the 90's as they simply sounded better than on CD - Think Genesis - We Can't Dance & indeed Phil Collins - Both Sides Albums..... Both with a dynamic range that I had yet to hear from a CD!
Everything changed when I bought the Bob Marley - Uprising CD around 1994/5! This disc really blew me away as they say or is it 'I'm in the right wheelhouse' these days?
The simply astonishing transfer to CD had been done so well, a tiny trace of studio tape hiss if you had the volume up loud enough & a sound that made me sit up & listen! I must say there were very few albums that matched the feel that CD gave me! Very easy to remember my emotions that day when I got home & played it! Of course these days many of us can make CD's up using any source & all the initial 'Hard Sounding' traits from the early days are long gone! I love to transfer some of the more obscure tracks from those Ronco/K-Tel compilation albums to digital & often make up compilation CD's for both home & car! Remember how low the quality was on those albums....Now it's possible to 'Remaster' any track you want & make it sound very good compared to the original record! Same with cassettes too, old recordings I made all through the 80's always on BASF chrome tapes usually borrowed albums etc & radio shows etc!
So I love CD's these days for those reasons....As for many of CD's released well into the 90's, some were really dire quality which is why I stuck with records until they were no longer available