Old 5th Dec 2022, 1:59 pm   #20
Jolly 7
Octode

Default Re: Noise issue with DIY variable PSU and audio amplifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al (astral highway) View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly 7 View Post
I think I'll try one of them instead to see if that gets rid of the noise problem. This is probably the easiest way for me. If it doesn't, it's back to the drawing board 😄
Jolly , it’s so unlikely to be a fault with a board.

It’s likely to do with layout and grounding. You will probably just replicate the same outcome.

As suggested earlier, please will you annotate your photos so we can see which wires are carrying a signal and which are connecting the boards’ power supplies snd how. It looks to me like you have one board with a bridge rectifier one the left , an amp to picture right and a linear voltage regulator on a small board behind it , with a heatsink ? Is that right ?

And you identified the yellow wire clamp as being on one of the signal leads , which is connected to the wire from the ferrite suppressor with the brown lead? Is that right?
Sure... I'll try to do that as soon as I'm able to. It might take me a day or two. I would like to preserve the Grundig board, as the amplifier sounds great when feeding it with an audio source not powered by the same transformer e.g. an android tablet or battery operated radio.