View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2021, 11:24 pm   #186
beery
Heptode

Default Re: My first telly TV22

Hi Travellingwave,
Yes the wire diameter/gauge quoted when purchasing new wire is only the diameter of the copper and does not include the enamel.

About the expanded laminations, I'm convinced that this is the root cause of TV22 line output transformer failures. I'm sure that when you unwind it, you will find the failure where the wire was been stretched. The original cellulose enamel didn't take well to begin stretched.
I always say that part of the reason that TV22s fail in this way is because the Bakelite cabinet can hide the fact that a set may have been stored in the damp.

The other problem with rusty laminations is that it increases eddy currents and these are a more serious problem where the output transformer is also the oscillator coil. I would be tempted to remove the laminations, rub them flat, straighten them, apply rust killer, apply spray acrylic lacquer on one side of each lamination and then put them back. Remember to put them the same way round, so that the varnish is on the same side of each lamination. Also put a bit of sleaving on the mounting srew where it passes through the laminations.

I do have turns data, but will have to look it up.

Cheers
Andy