View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2021, 2:12 pm   #13
beery
Heptode

Default Re: My first telly TV22

Hi Travelling wave.
Welcome to the world of vintage TV collecting.
The TV22 isn't the easiest set to start on, but it is easy to get to most of the components and many people on this forum have had experience with them.

On most sets I would advocate the idea of replacing one waxie at a time and powering up between each change to learn the symptoms that each fault gives.
However, due to the fragile nature of the frame blocking oscillator transformer in this set, I would recommend replacing all the waxies in the frame timbase before you power up. Also do test or replace the ECL80s in this set. If the line oscillator triode fails it will be game over for the PL38 and could kill the LOPT.

Some pointers from me,
The main smoothing capacitor can usually be reformed, but the 16uF axial underneath the deck will probably need replacement.
The A1 supply smoother, which I think is 0.1uF 500v is hiding underneath the tag board on the underside of the chassis. Replace this with a 630V cap, and replacing this before you test can prevent the metrosil (a vdr, a red oxide coloured 10p sized disc).

Dry out the LOPT overwind by passing a small DC current through it. There are several threads that mention how to do this.

Also before you do initial tests, cut connection to the Xcap which lives near the dropper resistor, also cut the huge waxie at the front of the chassis. These should be replaced later, but are not required for basic tests.
Also, you may find that the heater decouplers start to fail. Temporarily cut each one out of circuit as they fail, to enable you to get the time bases working properly first and then replace them later.
I've got loads of other advice, but I will stop there for now.
Good luck with it.

Cheers
Andy