View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2021, 7:18 pm   #53
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: The end of physical media.

I guess it's all a matter of personal preference: in recent years I've really got to like the ability to type a couple of lines of lyrics into my phone and get offered several mixes of the track containing them, along with details of their different releases, what albums/singles they were on, how many they sold/their top100 placement in the UK and US, what movies the track was used in and what the band-members are doing today.

Try doing that with a wall of CDs/vinyl/cassettes/DVDs.

Equally, with books - their lack of a search-facility is annoying: I've in the past resorted to searching online for a particular bit-of-info to give me hints as to which books-I-own actually contain the full content.

OK, some think it's 'nice' to have shelves of books, but can you find the information you need in a hurry? And can you be sure the information is still correct? [that's the nice thing about the Internet RFC-documents - they come with 'supersedes' and 'obsoletes' so you don't find yourself working from outdated information].

As I'be opined previously, I don't want the burden of storing un-indexed content myself when I can summon it up from somewhere in Japan or the US or Finland at the stroke of a finger.

[Example: right now I'm listening to a version of Scooter's "Hyper! Hyper!" recorded at a gig somewhere in Belgium a decade back, which has never been released on any kind of physical media]