View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2020, 11:25 pm   #17
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: Heathkit Valve Voltmeter - a tale or woe, suffering and utter misery etc.etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocollector View Post
I should have said earlier that I collect the Heathkit test gear (as well as avos) and after years of being assured that 'it was working perfectly' when it left the seller but funnily enough works no longer on arrival
Someone I know brought round a Heathkit emissions tester for me to have a look at just recently. It was some sort of similar story to the above, or perhaps that it was thought to work but untested, I can't remember the exact details. There was no obvious damage to the case, but I suspect that it had either been dropped or had some other large impact, as the meter movement was obviously jammed solid. I gave the chap the appropriate tools to dismantle the unit and remove the meter while I went to put the kettle on and make us both a cup of tea. I then dismantled the meter and found that the pivot had jumped out of its socket. I had to undo the pivot socket and reset the pivot and adjust - I did it while he watched and waited and as we drank our tea, then once the meter was fixed I let him put it all back together again. I forgot to take any pictures of the internals, but remembered to snap a couple or so after I took it out into the back yard to test it on a 27 year old car and it worked well - he was very pleased!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130855.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	219061   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130857.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	219062   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130858.jpg
Views:	71