View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2020, 1:36 pm   #1
avocollector
Heptode

Default Heathkit Valve Voltmeter - a tale or woe, suffering and utter misery etc.etc.

So I won a Heathkit Valve Voltmeter (IM 28 model I think) on an online auction which looked pretty good so I took a chance (although it did not cost a lot). Got it, wired up a plug and plugged in - hmm nothing. Dissembled it and after checking found the meter movement was open circuit. Dissembled the meter only to locate the open circuit in the moving coil so no go there to fix.

Went on line and found another one over in the United states - even went to a parts list and checked it was the right part number. Bought it at quite a high price and paid the even more extortionate postage to NZ. Sat down to wait for its arrival.

Then, out of the blue another spare identical meter appeared on the local auction site. Managed to win it cheaply and a week or so it turned up. Swapped out the old meter with the new, plugged in and tried it out. Nothing!! Had not tested the meter before installation but opened the chassis and tested it - new meter movement is also open circuit. Sad a few rude words but remembered 'never mind - there's another on the way from the US.'

Yesterday the US meter turned up - yep correct number etc but totally different size from old one - however innards were the same supposedly (600ohm) so no problems!! I'll just swap out the guts. Oh noooooo! new meter also has a totally different way of fixing the innards in place and they are not adjustable or compatable!!

Sometimes I think there is an evil deity up there who delights in doing this sort of thing to us electronics enthusiasts.