Thread: A confession
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2020, 5:56 pm   #23
Boulevardier
Octode

Default Re: A confession

My most awful confession is the wanton destruction of a DST-100 (see https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=78909).

This very quirky set was given to me back in 1963 (when I was 14 y.o) by venerable veteran Ken Willis (G8VR - then still quite young), who promised that he would help me to get it going - he gave me all the parts to make a power supply for it, which I did. Unfortunately, urgent family-care reasons meant that we had to move very suddenly from Kent down to Devon, and I lost contact with Ken ( no internet back then, and moving 250 miles in 1963 was rather like moving to another country today). At that age, I was completely confounded by the complexity of this (then virtually unknown) receiver, and never got it working. In the end I removed any components that might be useful (control knobs, 6V6GT, reusable resistors, etc, and used the frame, turned on end, as a seat for my workbench. We moved again three years later, and I suspect the remains of the DST-100 got buried in our grounds (my father’s solution to rubbish was to dig a hole and bury it - he once buried a derelict Austin 7 - just dug a huge hole next to the car and rolled it in!).

I often look back on all this and feel sad and guilty, but in the 60s WW2 military equipment was all over the place and two-a-penny - largely regarded as junk, and difficult even to give away. But, what an enigmatic set now that there’s more interest and curiousity over such things...

Mike