View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2017, 3:42 pm   #134
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: Audiophoolery. 'Cable Break In' - I never knew that!

Well yes, that's the easy, and with respect, obvious part. Craig seemed to hint at a much more 'high tech' version, here's what he said:

"Also mains cables need careful consideration to manage the junk that comes out our mains, particularly in these days of ethernet over mains. Once inside a chassis, that can radiate via anything that looks like an antenna. Mains filters a-la Shaffner are next to useless since they are only specced to operate up to 30MHz (or occasionally to 60MHz), and can often resonantly amplify interference at higher frequencies."

There's also his follow up answer:

"I specifically did not mention mains cable types; I have to declare an interest, since a range of EMC attenuating cables of my design is on the market on a royalty basis for prices that would make your eyes water.

"I hesitate to mention a good alternative that sounds great, but is dirt cheap. I did on another forum and was excoriated so completely and repeatedly on the basis of safety that I quit the forum. So I remain stum on that - sorry."