View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2017, 2:14 pm   #131
The General
Hexode

Default Re: Audiophoolery. 'Cable Break In' - I never knew that!

Stevehertz, thanks for the comment, it's nice to be appreciated & I hope you enjoyed the website. I liked your analogy of ABX tests being garlic to a vampire.
Audiophoolery is one of those hipster trends which generally causes little harm - except to the 'phool's bank account - & provides a perverse source of amusement to pragmatic engineering types like me.
However a particularly egregious outgrowth of this is the aquisition of vintage gear - particularly valve amplifiers - for the purpose of aquiring transformers & original valves. The 'phool considers a shagged out, low emission Mullard ECC83 wrenched from a hapless elderly PA amp to be a greater prize than a new high spec part because it's a 'black plate, yellow print' version presumably blessed with the appropriate amount of magic pixie dust & virgin's tears. As Lucien Nunes expressed his dismay at this practice earlier in this thread.
Woe betide the valve amp collector, invariably outbid on the auction sites by 'phools desperate to liberate the aformentioned glass trophies & wound components from their metallic prisons. Hey! They're PA amps, guys! Not HiFi. You can't make a monoblock out of it. If I hear the word monoblock again, I think I'll scream.

I think I'll take my medicine & have a little lie down now.
Mark.
The General is offline   Reply With Quote