View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2020, 6:22 pm   #1604
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: The Audiophoolery Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Sawyers View Post
At this point you are in for at least £60k per watch and upwards. And given the choice between some Crystal Cables products or a Breuget or Hublot watch, I know which way I'd go.
He was wearing a Jacob & co Astronomia Clarity

https://www.jacobandco.com/timepiece...onomia-clarity

Far, far above £60k

Amazing intricacy and flashiness and expense, but easily outdone by a quartz oscillator in terms of accuracy. Trying to engineer purely mechanical watches to compete with what electronics can do is inevitably futile, but if they are seen as works of art then that's a different matter. Big enough to make you look like an escapee from Thunderbirds!

Sixty grands' ( I nearly said grands' worth!) of crystal cables aren't going to appreciate in price, are they?

This is a world where people pay huge prices for things which do tasks less well and far more expensively than quite mundane items. Showmanship? Conspicuous consumption? Art? All of the above?

I've no objection to people making wildly 'artistic' speaker cables with incredible prices, but I reserve the right to laugh and poke fun at some of the claims. With things like this, the last thing you should do is try to justify them.

So how do I package an oscillatory mode hydrogen MASER in a wrist-mounted timepiece? Let's go right to the best. I got to meet Norman Ramsey back in 2005, close to his 90th birthday at an ISEF event, a very nice chap. It would produce an electronic wrist watch with an adjective the mechanical ones dare not use; definitive!

David