View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2020, 9:46 am   #13
cmjones01
Nonode

Default Re: VAT & Customs Duty on imported items

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Sawyers View Post
Same with Mouser. I get things from Mouser quicker than from Farnell.

Poland sounds like a miserable place to import stuff directly, Chris. Why not get it delivered to your Cambridge address, and then reship inside the EU
It is! I do import things to the UK then reship for some items, or just collect them on a visit, but the additional cost and trouble of doing that has to be balanced against simply dealing with the system here. I'm not looking forward to the end of this year's transition period one little bit.

Companies like Mouser which operate as "approved shippers" (I forget the proper term) are, on the other hand, a joy to deal with, because all these problems just go away regardless of where they choose to ship the goods from.

I'm also an enthusiastic supporter of the eBay international shipping programme for the same reason: though it's expensive, it's worthwhile just to have the goods turn up on my doorstep without wasting any of my limited time on admin. I buy quite a lot of test equipment and accessories from the US, because that's where it's easy to find and prices are affordable (my "daily driver" Tek 7904A scope was a princely $69), so to have someone else take care of the bureaucracy is wonderful.

To my fellow enthusiasts in the UK: I know the £8 charge is annoying, but it could be very, very much worse. The UK system is actually quite a pleasure to deal with, compared with its international competition.

Chris