View Single Post
Old 5th May 2020, 4:55 pm   #24
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: What to do with my collection?

A common dilemma. The legendary Steve Harris had a Museum in Chester but now operates [just his business] from an Industrial Estate. He wrote an article about what a disillusioning experience the Museum Project was. By the time he'd met all the regulations, the amount he could display was greatly reduced! Forum members may have read about the failure of a citizens group to maintain control of Hastings Pier. They blamed all and sundry but I pointed out that [like Museums as said on here ] you need a forward plan, business structure and an income stream. When I asked who had been responsible for that, there was a ringing silence! I'd think twice before getting into that "solution" Kestrel, especially in your circumstances and the current economic climate It's akin to a retirement project that people have always intended to do. Many open a short lived business. The banks never lose out!

Related-When the Ally Pally Society asked for help from the BBC a Senior manager said somewhat dismissively-"We Don't Do Museums!" This was when the one they had [in Broadcasting House] shut down after a few years. I think they got their stock for that project from Steve.

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 5th May 2020 at 5:02 pm.