View Single Post
Old 30th May 2020, 4:31 am   #22
Hermitcrab
Triode

Default Re: Dialling Code Booklets, your memories?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellseinydd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
As a matter of interest, when did local codes cease to exist? I assume that local dialling code books were unnecessary thereafter. Did local lists continue in telephone directories (or rather "The Phone Book") after 1988?
23rd June 1995 was when the last ones went out of use - I was there at the time sad probably made one! They were still in the phone book until then but as Linked Numbering Schemes came into being, they tended to disappear and they tended to use (as they do now) the STD code but charged as a 'local' call.

The last 'Phonebook' for this area was November 1993 and it still had a few local codes for exchanges not in an LNS. The next one was May 1995 but all local exchanges were in an LNS and hence contains just a full 'national list' of codes. But Ive only just noticed that there was also a 'local' Code-Decoder for all the exchanges in the area covered by our local 'Phonebook' !
I haven't got any other 1994 Phonebooks or early 1995 Phonebooks to hand so can't say for those but don't doubt the 1994 ones would have had them in.
Phoneday was 16 April 1995, and I always thought all local codes were discontinued by then. However, if it was 23 June then that was only a couple of months later, do you know which exchanges were the last ones to lose their local codes?