Old 29th May 2020, 9:38 pm   #16
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: BT 'Chiltern' telecom towers

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanlowe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
I've always been fascinated by the"Chilton" a mile away from here at Heaton Park, although apparently it was not part of the backbone network.
It is (or was).
http://www.dgsys.co.uk/btmicrowave/sites/115.php

EDIT:
And interestingly the next in the chain to Pale Heights I mentioned a minute ago.

Second EDIT: reading the info although it was part of the microwave network, apparently not the backbone itself. Quite right. Sorry.
I'm almost embarrassed to mention my Pale Heights anecdote, when I was 7/8 I was at a boarding school nearby, one day my classmates went for a ramble through Delamere Forest and ended up at a place called The Old Pale.
For some reason I didn't go, but when they returned they told me about this radio tower. I must have expressed interest and one of the girls insisted that some of them climbed the tower and a man at the top opened a trap door and let them in and look around. It was years before I realized she was teasing me.

The next time I saw mention of Pale Heights was when I visited the Network Control Room at Granada TV in the mid '80s and saw it on a map on the wall of communication routes.