View Single Post
Old 29th May 2020, 9:36 pm   #15
emeritus
Dekatron

Default Re: BT 'Chiltern' telecom towers

What I assume is one of the lattice towers is still standing at Kelvedon Hatch, just off the A128 between Brentwood and Ongar, conveniently located near the Secret Nuclear Bunker. It does have a much larger base than you might expect for a structure of its height, no doubt to provide extreme stability to cope with a nuclear explosion.

I have a colour slide of a tower on a ridge somewhere along the A40 that I took from the coach on a school trip to Oxford in 1964, before it was fitted out with dishes. My college arranged us to visit the London Post Office Tower in November 1968. Unfortunately it was so misty we could only just see the ground from the top, so we didn't experience the spectacular view we had heard about. We did get a tour that included the rotating restaurant (viewing, not tasting), microwave dishes and the electronics, but commercial telecomms, TV and radio were the only traffic that was mentioned. In one room, one wall was occupied by a bank of TV monitors, and the adjacent wall had empty racks that we were told was for future expansion of the TV service. Those racks were covered with pictures of TV monitors, because, so they said, this looked better than empty racks in publicity photos.

Last edited by emeritus; 29th May 2020 at 10:01 pm. Reason: Typo