View Single Post
Old 20th May 2020, 12:52 pm   #14
dagskarlsen
Heptode

Default Re: VOIP Phone line and my Bakelite telephones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_1993 View Post
Hello all,

I wondered if someone could help me here. We upgraded our broadband package in February to the latest sky Q Package with three Sky Q Boxes, the new Sky Hub etc. However, one thing I was extremely disappointed about is that they got rid of our standard phone line, If you plug a phone into the BT socket that service is just now dead.

The only way we can receive landline calls now is with our modern cordless phone hooked into the back of the Sky Hub router in the living room.

This is a bit of a pain for me as without a working telephone line I am not really able to convert or test the functionality of the vintage telephones I buy. I have tried plugging in my Bakelite phone into the back of the router and again absolutely nothing. I guess the router isn't providing any kind of power to the phone BT socket on the rear of the router.

Anyways I just wondered how I could adapt my bakelite telephones in my bedroom to work. I do have a standard phone socket in my room, but that is obviously now dead as sky expect us to use VOIP.

A wireless solution would be best, but I am completely new to VOIP systems and linking old phones to them so don't really know where to start.

Picture of my two desk phones for reference
Pretty often you are not alowed to use your own ATA, and just have to plug in where you plug in your cordless phone. Some of those adapters give a weak ring signal and limited power to an old phone. I would suggest to try e wireless phone jack, the remote part rings and powers an old phone, but you need a dialgizmo ore something else to accept rotary dials.

Here in Norway I ended up with porting the number to an international prowider named Zadarma, I may use the ATA I want, and they even offer a PBX service. (I have not tried that)

dsk