View Single Post
Old 4th May 2020, 5:29 pm   #7
G6ONEDave
Octode

Default Re: The space in the STD codes

Going back to the 1960's, when I lived in Poynton a village near Stockport with my parents, there were 2 codes, which if memory serves were 0624 if dialling from a local subscriber exchange and 09967 for non local subscriber exchanges. Later Poynton came under the Greater Manchester area and the code changed to 709, which corresponded with the first 3 letters of Poynton. The same was true for all the areas in and around Manchester, unless the third letter to number conversion was in use, in which case instead of the third letter being used it would change to the fourth and so on, until a non used code number was achieved. Poynton was using the 4 digit number per line until later changing to 6 digit per line. It could be difficult to phone Poynton numbers from other areas before the 709 came in. I know because I had to get an operator to assist once, who subsequently had to transfer me to another operator nearer to Poynton, I was ringing from a motorway services to let the family know that the coach was running late.