View Single Post
Old 4th May 2020, 11:45 am   #3
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Default Re: The space in the STD codes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitcrab View Post
The attached page is from the London Dialling Code Booklet for 1968 which I found online. The relevant STD codes had the space after the 4th digit, e.g. Ackworth is shown as 0977 63, whereas in later Dialling Code Booklets from around 1970 onwards it would have been shown with the space after the 3rd digit i.e. 097 763, as would all similar codes.

The space after the 4th digit would have made more sense to me as Ackworth was effectively Pontefract (0977) followed by 63. The Post Office, who ran the telephones then, must have made the decision at some time to change the spacing of the STD codes. Does anyone remember why?
As you say it is a lot easier in the earlier layout to recognise where an exchange was. No-one at the time seemed to know why. The only thing it did do is make it easier to spot the GSCs (or in later years exchanges which had moved into the Linked Numbering Scheme for that code) - those with just the 0ABC digits.

In the reproductions of STD code books for CNet ( Collectors Network were we still dial use the old STD codes) the numbers are set out in the earlier more logical format.