View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2021, 11:14 am   #92
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: The end of physical media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltblue View Post

Many would not wear just a watch.
A 'smart' watch is only smart if it has electricity. Fat lot of good having a 'smart' watch if you're off in the wild for a few days.

I wear a Seiko automatic with a 21-jewel movement and have done for years. No electricity needed to tell the time. If I've to fit a link into the bracelet to get it on my wrist, then I'm getting too heavy and need more exercise. If I've to remove one when it slides about on my wrist, I need more grub. That's smart enough for me.

When I was a teenager, we all couldn't wait to ditch our old wind-ups and get our hands on the new-fangled quartz watches that kept time 'to the second'. Now accurate time is so cheap and freely available that mechanical watches have made a comeback.

The irony being that many low-end yet relatively highly accurate mechanical 'common man' wristwatches rely on precision electronic timing both for manufacturing and setting up.

Talking of physical media, photographic film is still being manufactured, improved and developed (NPI) for use by the likes of me. Long may it last! I'll get my sheet of negatives out of an A4 file when required and scan them on whatever the latest scanning technology or digital sensor has to offer, rather than be bullied into curating them, at cost, as a string of ones and zeros onto some cloud or other, or on a HDD.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.