View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2021, 12:00 am   #56
Andrew2
Nonode

Default Re: Humour in the TV trade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr-Watts View Post

My other fave story was an old couple who's KT3 had passed away.
After fitting a new tripler the picture was awefull, all green and soft.
I gave the tube a boost and tweeked up the thing to give a very presentable picture.
When I reinstalled it they were horrified at how ** BAD ** the picture was !
I had to turn the red, blue and contrast right down there and then because they really were furious

Dave W
We had a similar one. A very nice couple who had recently moved into the area called us to report a fault on their elderly Bush CTV. We got it going, but it wanted a lot of work and the tube was seriously jiggered. It really wasn't worth doing, so we put a big estimate on it. They asked if we could recommend a 'good make' of CTV to replace it, and as we were Panasonic agents we had no hesitation in recommending one of those Quintrix sets which always impressed us.
The deal was done and the set installed and that was that...until two days later when the phone rang. It was Mrs Nice, but she wasn't impressed and neither was her husband.
I was uprooted from my cosy bench and sent out to see what the trouble was. On arrival I could see nothing at all wrong with the picture. Football was on and the lady kept saying the red shirts were 'all wrong' and no matter how hard I tried I could not convince her that all was well and that the picture was first class. In the end, I suggested I would take two new sets of different makes off display and let her see that all three pictures were more-or-less identical.
This having been done, she realised at last that they had simply grown accustomed to the ghastly colours of their old set.
She was nice as pie after that and became a reliable customer - and we picked up a number of new customers in the immediate area, so she must have been telling her neighbours about 'the nice young man who went out of his way' etc...
Happy days!

I've got another one about Mr Birkhead who liked his films to look 'just so'. I'll save it till later.